It may not be in person, and it may not include your typical events, but E3 season is upon us, and I will take what I can get! As my favorite time of the year (sorry holidays), I am pleased to take you on this journey into new updates, new titles, and shocking announcements.
We begin with Geoff Keighly’s Summer Game Fest Kickoff, which begins as a livestream before the even continues into the month. Competitor to E3? It’s replacement? Only time will tell, but when it comes to exciting gaming events, the more the merrier! Check out the stream below and our highlights!
Watch The Full Summer Game Fest Kickoff + Highlights From The Live Stream
- We’re opening with the new title from Gearbox (Creators of Borderlands). And it’s Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, with a full list of great actors like Andy Samberg, Wanda Sykes, and Will Arnet. It’s a standalone game outside of the Borderlands franchise (but clearly connected). Coming early 2022.
- Next up we have Metal Slug Tactics, and as a fan of the series, I’m interested in seeing more! Though, it is a departure from the typical gameplay. Still love that art style, and it was a great trailer.
- Next up we have a pre-recorded interview with Hideo Kojima, and oh boy am I wondering where this is going. While he didn’t reveal anything about his next game, we did get some news. We open on Sam from Death Stranding as he considers using a cardboard box to sneak into enemy territory. Big Metal Gear Solid vibes here. It’s Death Stranding: Director’s Cut coming to PS5! Not bad! A full reveal is just a few weeks away.
- Next up we have Jeff Goldblum announcing a World Premiere. Heavy Jurassic Park vibes and Dinosaurs show up right away. It’s a sequel to Jurassic World Evolution, which was a great sim-building title in the franchise.
- Next is a performance from Japanese Breakfast, with a lovely game playing in the background that looks similar to Journey. Sable is the game, coming September 23rd, and will be featured in the Tribeca stream tomorrow.
- Lostark, an MMORPG, is coming west from Amazon’s game studios. Looks ot be isometric, like an MMO version of Diablo perhaps? It’s coming this fall.
- As Prime Gaming sponsored Summer Game Fest 2021, we’re seeing a promotion for that subscription, which includes in-game perks, items, and free titles each month.
- New season of Call of Duty coming next week to Cold War and Warzone. Trailer highlights some sweet new maps, operators, and Zombies mode content.
- Ryan Reynolds makes an appearance and makes a joke about Elden Ring, which I know will come back to bite him if it doesn’t show up in this stream. He’s here to promote his movie, which looks pretty good!
- Among Us is adding new content like roles, maps, and modes.The Geoff Keighly mask is back for today if you watch 15 mins of the stream on Twitch.
- Shuhei Yoshida is here to talk indies and mentions Chicory: A Colorful Tale releasing today, as well as a new soulsborne game from the creators of Salt and Sanctuary called Salt and Sacrifice. Co-op is back as well, local and online!
- A new trailer for Solar Ash, and let’s be honest, I’ll buy anything Annapurna publishes. Some serious Shadow of the Colossus vibes here as she takes on a flying beast.
- A Chivalry II trailer, followed by Valorant news on the next character and episode.
- Escape From Tarkov showed off its new streets map that’s in development for the intense multiplayer shooter.
- Two Point Campus makes its debut, taking the sim genre to school. Lots of different elements in the trailer, including building styles and a variety of settings. It’s coming in 2022.
- Netflix’s Geeked Week stream starts tomorrow, promising to show off the updates on all of the service’s gaming, comic, and movie-based shows.
- Smite is doing a Stranger Things crossover, and uh, okay? I can dig it, though it’s a bit of a stretch. Still, you get Hopper, the mindflayer, and other iconic characters.
- A new publisher announcement! They’ve got 12 games in their initial lineup, and as the Star Wars meme would say “We will be watching their career with great interest.” It’s Prime Matter. We also found out that Saber Interactive and Prime Matter are working on a new Painkiller game!
- A new 4-player co-op shooter is coming that promises infinite replayability and has a funky kind of vibe to it that helps it stand out. It’s set on a stranded space ship and it’s called The Anacrusis.
- Rocket League is bringing back Fast & Furious cars to celebrate the launch of the new film, and yeah, that tracks with that franchise’s insane stunts.
- Sharkmob brought a new trailer for their multiplayer game set in the Vampire: The Masquerade Universe. It’s called Blood Hunt and a new alpha test is coming in July.
- New trailer for House of Ashes in the Dark Pictures Anthology. It’s coming October 22nd, 2021.
- Next is the latest trailer for Tales of Arise. It looks like a decent upgrade for the visuals, with a interesting cast and some flashy combat that we’ve come to expect. It’s coming September 10th, 2021.
- That Game Company’s title from phones is coming to Nintendo Switch at the end of June.
- Next we have a hand-painted side-scrolling adventure called Planet of Lana that is both gorgeous and intruiging in equal measure. It’s coming in 2022.
- An Overwatch 2 update reminds us that it’s switching to a 5-v-5 structure for the new game. They showed off some of the new character models for the characters that allows for more detail.
- Next we have a look at Dark Alliance and an update for Paladins. Dark Alliance is coming later this month!
- An interview with the actor playing Far Cry 6’s villain reveals more about his character and we will see if he can top Vaas.
- Fall Guys is getting a new costume for 2B from Nier: Automata
- A new developer has been announced called Deviation, styled Dev\at\on, and they’re working with PlayStation.
- We got a new trailer for Back4Blood, and be sure to check here on Sunday for our highlights of the Warner Brothers stream!
- Tribes of Midgard gets a new trailer, allowing you to explore and survive in co-op on both PC and PlayStation. The viking theme reminds me of Valheim, which isn’t currently on consoles, so this could scratch that itch. It comes out in July of this year.
- The Evil Dead game gets some new footage, with Bruce Campbell leading the demonstration. It lets you play as classic characters and even the bad guys!
- We finally got a new Elden Ring trailer, so you know the internet is going to lose their mnids. It certainly has From Software’s style, but it remains to be seen how they’ll switch things up for this release, though it seems like an open world is part of the structure. It’s coming January 21st, 2022.
Article by: Bradley Ramsey
Insert date: 6/10/21